The Mermaid's Tale Kumihimo Necklace Instructions is a downloadable PDF. Nothing will be shipped to you. If you want to print out the instructions, you'll need to have a printer. You'll have access to the download after you checkout. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to open the file.
The PDF is four pages long and includes a supply list, detailed written instructions, and counts for three different finished necklace lengths: approximately 19.5", 21.5", and 24.5".
This is not a kit. No materials are included.
Mermaid's Tale is an all levels kumihimo project, and assumes you already know the basic kumihimo skills:
- how to thread a needle
- how to tie an overhand knot
- how to set up the disk for braiding
- how to string beads and follow a stringing chart
- how to drop beads and lock them in place in the braid
- how to bind off the ends of your braid
- how to glue on endcaps
- how to read a stringing chart
Mermaid's Tale is not recommend for a first beaded kumihimo project. The following elements make Mermaid's Tale more appropriate for braiders with some previous beaded kumihimo experience:
- asymmetrical bead shape
- intermediate counted pattern
The "Pattern Only" option is best for independent beaders either working from their own stash or willing/able to search for their own materials because we do not provide vendor recommendations nor color names/numbers. Please allow your own creativity to guide you to your own unique color palette.
The supply list is on the first page of each project PDF and includes the type/size of each required component as well as the required quantity. The quantities are listed as a range because the instructions include stringing charts for multiple sizes.
If you would prefer to purchase a complete kit that includes both the instructions and all the materials needed to make a project, please click here.
The following supplies are needed to make a Mermaid's Tale necklace (not included):
- 14mm x 13mm Czech glass petal beads
- size 8 Japanese seed beads
- size 11 Japanese seed beads
- Superlon micro
- size 18 Superlon
- big-eye needle
- 6mm stainless steel magnetic endcaps
- size 11 Delica beads
- One-G or KO beading thread
- binding thread
- E6000 glue
Tools needed to assemble the project (not included):
- foam kumihimo disk
- 8 weighted bobbins (~23g each)
- clip-on center weight (~45g)
- white/craft glue to stiffen Superlon when use of needle is impossible (optional)
Design by Rebecca Ann Combs
©2020 Rickbecca Publishing LLC
Distributed under license by Design & Adorn LLC.
While I am happy for you to sell any items you make using this Mermaid's Tale tutorial (as long as you are not mass producing them), I do ask that you credit me as the designer and please note that copying, teaching or sharing my Mermaid's Tale pattern is prohibited.