The Whirlwind Kumihimo Necklace Instructions is a downloadable PDF. Nothing will be shipped to you. If you want to print out the instructions, you'll need to have a printer. You'll have access to the download after you checkout. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to open the file.
The PDF is two pages long and includes a supply list, detailed written instructions, and stringing charts for three different finished necklace lengths: approximately 20", 22", and 25".
This is not a kit. No materials are included.
The Whirlwind features a gorgeous textural spiral of fire polished and seed beads. This is a great introduction to counted patterns.
Whimsy is a beginner-plus to intermediate project, and assumes you already know the basic kumihimo skills:
- how to thread a needle
- how to tie an overhand knot
- how to set up the disk for braiding
- how to string beads and follow a stringing chart
- how to drop beads and lock them in place in the braid
- how to bind off the ends of your braid
- how to glue on endcaps
- how to read a stringing chart
Whirlwind is not recommend for a first beaded kumihimo project. The following elements make Whirlwind more appropriate for beginner-plus to intermediate braiders:
- small bead size (11/0)
- asymmetrical counted pattern
The "Pattern Only" option is best for independent beaders either working from their own stash or willing/able to search for their own materials because we do not provide vendor recommendations nor color names/numbers. Please allow your own creativity to guide you to your own unique color palette.
The supply list is on the first page of each project PDF and includes the type/size of each required component as well as the required quantity. The quantities are listed as a range because the instructions include stringing charts for multiple sizes.
If you would prefer to purchase a complete kit that includes both the instructions and all the materials needed to make a project, please click here.
The following supplies are needed to make a Whirlwind necklace (not included):
- 4mm Czech glass fire polished beads
- size 8 Japanese seed beads
- size 11 Japanese seed beads
- Superlon Micro
- Size 18 Superlon
- big-eye needle
- 6mm acrylic magnetic endcaps
- binding thread
- E6000 glue
Tools needed to assemble the project (not included):
- foam kumihimo disk
- 8 weighted bobbins (~23g each)
- clip-on center weight (~45g)
Design by Alex Du Pont
©2020 Rickbecca Publishing LLC
Distributed under license by Design & Adorn LLC.
You have permission to sell necklaces you make using this Whirlwind tutorial as long as:
- You credit Alex Du Pont as the designer.
- You are not mass producing them. (Max 12 Whirlwind necklaces per year.)
Please note that copying, teaching or sharing the Whirlwind pattern is prohibited.